DevOps | Let's collaborate
What is DevOps 🚢 ?
It's combination of philosophies, practice, process and tools which automate the process between development and teams and help organisation to deliver reliable build. These all assets enables a quality for organizations to better serve their customers and compete more effectively in the market and also add some promised benefits which include confidence and trust, faster software releases, ability to solve critical issues quickly, and better manage unplanned work.
Badnews: DevOps isn’t magic, and transformations don’t happen overnight.
Good news: You don’t have to wait for upper management to roll out a large-scale initiative.
By understanding the value of DevOps and making small, incremental changes, your team can embark on the DevOps journey right away.
DevOps Practices 📝
- Continuous Integration 📈 : A kind of software development practice where developers regularly merge or push their code changes into a master repository, after that the builds and tests will run automatically. The goals of CI are to address bugs quicker at early stage, improve software quality, and reduce the time consumption of validation and release of new software updates.
- Continuous Deployment 🚚 : Every change that passes the automated tests is deployed to production automatically. It means your environment should pull the latest build or should address the latest repository which is tested and go a head for production deployment. Continuous deployment is an excellent way to accelerate the feedback loop with your customers and take pressure off the team as there isn't a Release Day anymore.
- Infrastructure as a code 🏦: Infrastructure as code is a practice which insure that you are able to maintain you version control your quality while doing continuous integration. The Infrastructure should be configured programmatically so infrastructure and servers can quickly communicate in a standardized patterns with the latest patches and versions.
- Communication and Collaboration 📢: Collaboration and communication are the X factor to help organisation to grow and asses for DevOps. This helps to speed up the development, operations, and even other teams like marketing or sales, allowing all parts of the organization to align more closely on goals and projects.
Benefits of DevOps 💰
- Speed ✈️ : The DevOps model enables developers and operations teams to achieve the goals in a different pace which helps to innovate product faster to serve customers , adapt to changing markets better and also helps to grow more efficient at driving business results.
- Rapid Delivery 📡: Helps to Increase the frequency of releases so we can improve product faster and quicker release for new features and bug fixing, will help to respond customers and helps to build competitive advantage.
- Reliability ⚒ : DevOps ensure abut the quality by following CI /CD, Monitoring and logging process. By updating infrastructure team certifies development team to deliver at a more rapid pace while maintaining a positive experience for end users Ex: Monit, OpsGenie, Grafana, Nagios, Observium .
- Scale 📏: Team operates and manage infra and processes at scale. Planning scalability and upgrading the environment helps to manage complex or changing systems efficiently and with reduced risk.
- Security 🔏 : DevOps model helps to move without sacrificing security by using automated compliance policies, fine-grained controls, and configuration management techniques. Even team can claim you to follow the standard at early stage of development by providing setup Ex: Codacy, CodeClimate, SonarQube, VeraCode etc.
This is gold. Well written with most of the points covered about DevOps. Well, I asked DevOps experts at Reddit, how they are practicing DevOps at their organization. I received some wonderful responses. Check them out here.
Owner and web developer at listekconsulting.com and weekly podcaster at bitvbyte.com
Great write-up! One of the best summaries of DevOps I've seen.