Etsy is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Compute Team.
As Etsy grows, our engineering team needs to continue to enable Etsy's growth while providing innovative ways to improve our systems. The Compute team, part of Systems Engineering, is tasked with making that happen for our evolving production runtime infrastructure. We’re looking to grow the team.
Etsy is actively preparing to move systems to a cloud provider, and this team will play a key role in this work. This is an exciting time to join Etsy, as the engineering team embarks on its next-generation work. It’s an opportunity to be part of the teams running the infrastructure that connects millions of sellers and customers.
- This is a full-time position based in Etsy’s Brooklyn office or remote in a US timezone.*
About the Team
Systems Engineering is a fluid and dynamic group. We work across Engineering to provide teams with tools, platforms, and insights into how their systems are performing. The team strives for situational awareness; we know that failure happens, and sometimes we even cause them to happen on purpose. Kindness is a requirement. You will likely learn more about collaboration at Etsy than you have anywhere else.
The Compute team is responsible for the production infrastructure that responds to web browser and API client requests. This is a LAMP stack with specific optimizations and tuning to support the volume of traffic we receive, as well as the velocity of deploys made by engineers. The team is also the home of growing expertise in container and orchestration technology, running our first Kubernetes clusters on behalf of Engineering.
About the Role
- Be part of the team on-call rotation for production runtime systems.
- Assist other teams with adoption of container and orchestration technologies.
- Migrate existing systems to containers and Kubernetes, both on-prem and in the cloud.
- Build tools for others to use to gain insights about their workloadsWork with a distributed team.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
- A software engineer who takes pride in building reliable and sustainable systems.
- You can define and solve unconstrained problems.
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- Know how and when to make trade-offs when building systems.
- Know when to seek help when no progress is being made.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator and can mentor other engineers.
Nice to Have
- You have previous experience with container and orchestration technologies.
- You have experience with bare metal and cloud environments.
- You have experience with Go, Ruby, bash or PHP.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.