Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for talented developers to help us reach the next level.
By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to work on many of our various Rails projects with a team of highly skilled Rails experts from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible with Rails every single day, and we’d love for you to help us get even further. The bulk of the work we do on a daily basis is pure back-end development, but occasionally some new UI has to be wired up, so some front-end skills on your part certainly won’t hurt.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we create beautifully architected Rails apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Grow, develop, and lead an engineering team.
- Identify and eliminate distractions to the teams.
- Create and provide regular feedback loops.
- Onboard and mentor new team members.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- Drive engineering excellence and ensure team is delivering high-value results.
- Anticipate, plan, and effectively work to resolve future challenges.
- Help guide and direct the technical and product strategy.
- Oversee the implementation of engineering best practices.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack and other communication channels.
- Previous experience leading an engineering team.
- You must have 5+ years of web development experience—preference given to candidates who have experience with large applications of some scale.
- You must have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- You must have experience developing a web framework—with Ruby on Rails a plus.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.