The trigger warning message, “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user,” arises when you come up with QuickBooks error 6073. The company file error arises when a user in the same network is already using the company file in single-user mode. If you also come across the issue and are unable to figure out how to troubleshoot it effectively, then have a look at this informative blog. The article focuses on the factors that affect the error and provides some helpful solutions to fix it.
Are you constantly being troubled with the QuickBooks company file error message 6073 but cannot get rid of it? Then we suggest you reach out to our team of professionals by dialing Toll-Free 1.800.579.0391.
What Provokes the Company File Error Message 6073 in QuickBooks?
If you are wondering what exactly causes the problem, then read out the points we have explained further-
- The first possibility is that your company file is stored in a read-only network folder.
- Another system might be accessing the data file in Single-user mode.
- There is also a probability that the company file is running remotely, and the server computer views that the user is using it.
Recommended to read : Print w2 in QuickBooks online
Different Ways to Debug the QuickBooks Desktop Error Message 6073 Completely
The following are three different situations in which the error can come up. Go through the solutions mentioned below and troubleshoot the issue accordingly-
SITUATION 1: The Data File is Stored in a Read-Only Network Folder
- Run the server computer and open the company file folder.
- Choose the ‘Properties’ option by right-clicking on the folder.
- In the following window, move to the ‘Security’ tab and click on the user that is facing a problem in logging in.
- Hit ‘Edit’ and then checkmark the ‘Allow’ checkbox for Full Control.
- In the end, tap ‘Apply’ and after that the ‘OK’ button.
SITUATION 2: The Data File is Running on the Server Computer in Single-User Mode
- Launch your QuickBooks Desktop and click on the ‘File’ tab.
- Choose ‘Close Company’ and open your company file again.
- Select the ‘File’ menu and tap on the ‘Open or Restore Company’ option.
- Hit ‘Open a company file’ and ‘Next’.
- Choose your data file and after that, tap ‘Open file in multi-user mode’.
- Finally, click on the ‘Open’ button.
SITUATION 3: The Data File is Running on a Workstation in Single-User Mode
- Exit the QuickBooks Desktop application in all computer systems.
- Go to the server computer and access the company file.
- On the ‘File’ menu, choose the ‘Switch to Multi-User Mode’ option.
- At last, restart every workstation.
As the blog ends here, we suppose the article has helped you understand the entire concept of QuickBooks error 6073. Although the given troubleshooting methods must help you fix the issue, sometimes, due to some unexpected glitches, it might not disappear. In such a case, immediately call one of our certified experts at Toll-Free 1.800.579.0391.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 6190