My FeedDiscussionsHashnode Enterprise
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
Lucy Linder

2 likes

·

1.6K reads

3 comments

Attila Gulyas
Attila Gulyas
Sep 15, 2023

This is great writing: It's

• concise
  • unbiased
  • no-nonsense, yet not overly dry
  • well structured
  • references galore
  • clear introduction to the problems faced (love the up-front summaries) and showing workarounds (with just enough code to demonstrate both)
  • superb conclusion section

To think that I almost gave up my research before stumbling upon this article.. Thank you!

(Thank you also for saving us at least a month! Inherited a legacy (undocumented) Django 2 project running in production, and bringing it up to date took almost 2 weeks, so we were thinking about adding static type checking. After reading your thorough write-up though, I think we should be happy that the upgrade and subsequent migration went well..:)

·
Pierre
Pierre
Sep 14, 2023

Very interesting!

I have started to massively use type hints in 2023 (after almost 11 years of coding with Python). I couldn't agree more with these 2 sentences:

a Python project should be developed with type checks in mind from the start

and:

I can't help but feel the types revolution will drastically change how we code in Python

I am still using the integrated feature of PyCharm for checking type hints. I haven't tried MyPy yet, but I will try one day!

·
·1 reply
Lucy Linder
Lucy Linder
Author
·Sep 14, 2023

Happy you liked it! And thank you for leaving a comment, it made my day.

Type hints are still in their infancy, but I believe it will become a no brainier soon, given all the PEPs related to type hints.

Pycharm is powerful, but only relying on an IDE is risky, as a wrong type hint is worst than none. I did the same on one of my projects (pycharm only) and was surprised how many mistakes I made when I turned on mypy.

If you like the subject, have a look at my latest article discussing changes to type annotations blog.derlin.ch/python-type-hints-and-futur…

·