My FeedDiscussionsHashnode Enterprise
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
KaviiSuri

98 likes

·

26.3K reads

14 comments

James 'Dante' Midzi
James 'Dante' Midzi
Sep 16, 2023

This is a lovely article! I switched over to Svelte a couple of months ago as I was tired of all the complexity I was having to deal with.

I'm happier and I know exactly what's going on much more than I did before.

·
Samir Alibabic
Samir Alibabic
Sep 8, 2023

I like how it intertwines seamlessly with JavaScript. Definitely something to consider for my next project.

What do you see as biggest challenges for people coming from Next.js world?

·
·1 reply
KaviiSuri
KaviiSuri
Author
·Sep 9, 2023

Thr biggest challenge IMO is getting in the habit of keeping things simple.

There's mostly no "Svelte way" like we have React way of doing things. It's idiomatic JS and normal software engineering practices just work

There's already SvelteKit (a svelte meta framework) for most things Next.JS supports. And vercel supports these officially.

·
Shad Mirza
Shad Mirza
Sep 21, 2023

Always has been fascinated by Svelte. Hopefully this gives me a nudge to actually try it once.

·
Abdulmumin Yaqeen
Abdulmumin Yaqeen
Sep 6, 2023

I got confused a lot with React, and I even lost interest completely in frontend, but Svelte saved me. I totally super duper love 😍 and advocating for it!!

Greate Read btw ♡

·
·1 reply
KaviiSuri
KaviiSuri
Author
·Sep 9, 2023

Thanks! Please try it out, let me known if you have any questions! (It might become my next article🤷‍♂️)

·
Blake Larson
Blake Larson
Sep 21, 2023

Great read! Enjoyed your humor and it inspired me to build a small project in Svelte.

·
Rajasekar
Rajasekar
Sep 7, 2023

Awesome post..! I am getting a feel of a novel, such good writing and it pushes me to learn svelte asap.

·
Leandro Nuñez
Leandro Nuñez
Sep 7, 2023

You wrote such good article that I NEED to try svelte. I didn’t want. It’s your fault ♥️

·
Rafal
Rafal
Sep 10, 2023

Your React vs Svelte example (this with Chart.js library usage) is not fair. It is something you would say: how to make it wrong in React and how to make it right in Svelte. There is another option: how to make it right in React - and it would be using useRef hook. In that case React example would be almost indentical to Svelte code with just some minor syntactic differences.

·
·1 reply
José Pablo Ramírez Vargas
José Pablo Ramírez Vargas
Oct 3, 2023

While that may be true, one particular pain point is not going to save React from damnation. Quickly summarizing: Svelte performs faster with less RAM consumption, has first class support for accessibility, scoped classes, stores and animation, provides up to 40% codebase reduction when compared to ReactJS, and to top all that, Svelte 5 will be performing even faster and bringing true fine-grained reactivity.

With that impressive list, do you think it is worthwhile pointing out that React can do ChartJS the same as Svelte? It doesn't change a single thing in the big panorama of things.

·
Lakshya Thakur
Lakshya Thakur
Sep 23, 2023

Pretty good insights here. I do think React has got more convoluted overtime. I think my only reason for not trying out svelte yet is that I have got used to writing more JSX than standard html templates with some framework magic. But from what I have heard, the ecosystem does feel more DX friendly. Maybe I will give it a shot for my next pet project.

·