My FeedDiscussionsHeadless CMS
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
Scott Wright

7 likes

·

103 reads

5 comments

Omezibe Obioha
Omezibe Obioha
Feb 6, 2024

Well put! Bland/no README is definitely an off-putter for me while checking out a project on GitHub (I mean, why open source what someone can't understand it's purpose at a glance?. My key takeaway from your README template is the TOC 😅. I pretty much do everything else in yours already (check out my latest project on GitHub: HashBot). Do you come up with the header IDs yourself? If yes, how do you handle emojis in headers? Thanks.

PS: I tried playing your Battleship game but couldn't figure out how it works ;(.

·
·4 replies
Scott Wright
Scott Wright
Author
·Feb 9, 2024

Hey Omezibe Obioha, thanks for the comment!

The TOC is something I used for this project in particular because the readme got quite detailed and overwhelming as one piece. Had to break it up a little. 😅

I just chose the headers based on what I thought best described the content to be honest.

In regards to emojis in readmes, do you mean like on my github profile?

I used this generator for that: profileme.dev 👍

Lastly, thanks for the feedback on the Battleship game. I'd be interested to know what wasn't working for you, if you have the time could you let me know what browser/device where you using etc?

Always helpful to get some feedback from real world use.

·
Omezibe Obioha
Omezibe Obioha
Feb 11, 2024

Don't mention it Scott Wright ✌🏽.

Regarding the emojis, I meant like on a project README. From my quick "research", I found out that GitHub auto-generates a TOC & removes emojis from the ID. It's an easy-to-miss feature, so having your own TOC is best for now.

Just seeing profileme.dev for the first time. Cool stuff! Thanks for the recommendation.

Lastly, the only issue I had with Battleship was I didn't know how to play it ;). No instructions. I think that's similar to not having a README in a repo yeah 😅?

·
Scott Wright
Scott Wright
Author
·Feb 11, 2024

Omezibe Obioha You make a good point 😅! I should add some instructions to the repo, thats really helpful feedback so I'm definitely going to add them. Really appreciate that!

·
Omezibe Obioha
Omezibe Obioha
Feb 11, 2024

Scott Wright Haha, you're welcome 😁

·