My FeedDiscussionsHeadless CMS
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
Eleftheria Batsou

71 likes

·

1.4K reads

18 comments

Vidit Goel
Vidit Goel
Aug 24, 2023

Absolutely inspiring journey, Eleftheria! Your story truly showcases the power of seizing opportunities, even when imposter syndrome tries to creep in. Your dedication to sharing your knowledge and connecting with others is remarkable. I especially appreciate your practical advice on finding your niche, crafting presentations, and persevering through rejections. As someone who's already working on breaking into the tech field and wants to engage with the community, I'd love to know how you managed to balance your job search, learning, and community involvement. Any insights for beginners like me who are juggling multiple aspects of their tech journey? Keep up the amazing work! 🚀🌟

·
·1 reply
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Aug 24, 2023

Thank you Vidit Goel for your kind comment.

" I'd love to know how you managed to balance your job search, learning, and community involvement. " -> I combined "learning" with the "community involvement", meaning every time I was learning something, I would find a way to share it on twitter, upload it on github and even write an article about it... I'd ask for feedback or if people had similar projects as mine I'd have a look and comment on their work. (All the above are pretty much things I still do). As far as finding a job, you have to have a system. Don't spend more than 1-1.30 hours per day looking for jobs/applying because after some time you'll get tired and you won't be focused on what you're applying to. With that said: focus first on the jobs you really want. Be patient as some companies have a very long process. Keep a Excel sheet with all your jobs & interviews. Last but not least, ask your network (even if it's small) if they have any jobs or if they can propose you to a company (but don't put pressure on them). I hope these helps.

Thank you.

·
Vivek Tiwari
Vivek Tiwari
Aug 28, 2023

Thanks Eleftheria for sharing your experience, this article will not only help aspiring speakers but also help to those coders like me who don't have idea about the power of sharing our learnings on socials and in the form of blogs which can create lots of opportunities for us. Once again, thank you so much.

·
·1 reply
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Aug 30, 2023

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

·
Julia Undeutsch
Julia Undeutsch
Aug 24, 2023

Great article, Elef! Exciting journey :)

·
·1 reply
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Aug 24, 2023

Thank you so much Julia!

·
Ákos Kőműves
Ákos Kőműves
Jan 14, 2024

Thanks for writing this up, Elef.

One of the things I'd like to explore in 2024 is public speaking. I read other blogs on Hashnode from speakers, and everyone suggested starting at meetups, but they are very location-dependent.

Also, as I learned from Karol Horosin, being invited to international conferences as a first-time speaker is even rare unless you have a very compelling story - which you totally had.

I'll check out the two sites you mentioned because it seems like a good idea to have profiles there.

Any other suggestions?

·
·5 replies
Karol Horosin
Karol Horosin
Jan 14, 2024

These two sites are perfect! With smaller international conferences you may have a bigger chance because they will want their speaker line up to look international so they may give a shot to beginner speakers. I know of two people that did that!

·
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Jan 14, 2024

Hey Akos.

The meetups can be a great start but if you are in a location that doesn't have a lot of meetups it's hard. For example, I live in a small city and even today, we don't have many meetups in my field...

Another tip would be to add in your topic on these 2 platforms as many details as you can. There is a chance the organizers won't select you because they don't understand your topic or the value of it, but if you have many details then they'll easily understand your passion and your knowledge around it.

Good luck Akos.

·
Ákos Kőműves
Ákos Kőműves
Jan 14, 2024

Thanks to both of you for the input Eleftheria Batsou and Karol Horosin 🙌 I'm going to sign up for these two sites – as soon as I think of a topic. I've written about so many things but now, as I think about picking a main topic, I have no idea 😅

·
Karol Horosin
Karol Horosin
Jan 14, 2024

Ákos Kőműves The Ultimate Full Stack Framework for 2024: Remix and snapshot testing look like good bases for talks, the second even better

·
Ákos Kőműves
Ákos Kőműves
Jan 14, 2024

Thanks Karol Horosin! I wrote an entire series on testing with RTL and Jest it's soo good. 😊

·
ADITYA DAS
ADITYA DAS
Aug 25, 2023

Really, an outstanding article, the real world experiences are really great and inspire lots of beginners & new Tech Speakers. 👨🏻‍💻

·
·1 reply
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Aug 25, 2023

Thank you 😇

·
Carla Ejemeh Inya-Agha
Carla Ejemeh Inya-Agha
Aug 25, 2023

Absolutely inspiring. The lesson is to keep working! Opportunities come to those who are ready. Well done Batsou

·
·1 reply
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Aug 27, 2023

Thank you so much for your nice comment!

·
Kavir Kaycee
Kavir Kaycee
Aug 25, 2023

Fantastic Elef! keep it going

·
·1 reply
Eleftheria Batsou
Eleftheria Batsou
Author
·Aug 25, 2023

Thank you 😊