My FeedDiscussionsHeadless CMS
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
Adam Hartley

703 reads

10 comments

Tom
Tom
Nov 28, 2023

Hi, after repeating these steps (including the uboot update) three times over, I always end up with this error when running bootefi bootmgr (after setting the efi boot option):

StarFive # bootefi bootmgr
error: out of memory.
error: relocation overflow.

The grub menu still loads, but when I select Ubuntu I get error: relocation overflow. again.

I'm pretty sure that this comes from grub, any ideas?

·
·9 replies
Adam Hartley
Adam Hartley
Author
·Nov 29, 2023

Hey that’s pretty weird, I haven’t seen that error before. Do you perhaps have a different revision of the board? Mine is a v1.3b

·
Tom
Tom
Dec 2, 2023

Adam Hartley Yep, I also have the v1.3b.

Luckily, I have managed to get it working, all I needed to do was use the Ubuntu version of the uboot and spl (from wiki.ubuntu.com/RISC-V/StarFive%20VisionFiv..) instead of the star five one on github!

·
Adam Hartley
Adam Hartley
Author
·Dec 4, 2023

Tom That's interesting, mine is running the latest official firmware and it seems to run ok, though I will give the ubuntu fork a try and see if there are any differences :)

·
Allard Krings
Allard Krings
Dec 10, 2023

Adam Hartley Hi, I have the 1.2A version of the board with an NVME installed. Following the tutorial does not work. Is it possible at all to install ubuntu on that? Even on a simple SD card it does not boot. If so , what step should I do differently from your tutorial?

·
Adam Hartley
Adam Hartley
Author
·Dec 10, 2023

Allard Krings Hello, I believe the main difference is there is a different device tree for the older boards. I would take a look at the Ubuntu wiki, there’s a note near the end for 1.2 boards: wiki.ubuntu.com/RISC-V/StarFive%20VisionFiv..

Unfortunately I can’t test this as I have a 1.3 board, but with any luck this will help. I would also suggest ensuring you are on the latest board firmware, or use Ubuntu’s fork of the firmware (details on the wiki link above).

Please do let me know if you manage to solve this as it will be helpful for anyone else facing the same issue. Thank you!

·
Allard Krings
Allard Krings
Dec 11, 2023

Adam Hartley Helo , i am not even getting to the point where I can replace the DTB. This is my ouput:

Model: StarFive VisionFive V2 Net: eth0: ethernet@16030000, eth1: ethernet@16040000 Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

StarFive # pci enum starfive_pcie pcie@2B000000: Port link up. starfive_pcie pcie@2B000000: Starfive PCIe bus probed. PCI: Failed autoconfig bar 10 starfive_pcie pcie@2C000000: Port link up. starfive_pcie pcie@2C000000: Starfive PCIe bus probed. PCI: Failed autoconfig bar 10

StarFive # nvme scan StarFive # load mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr_r dtb/starfive/jh7110-starfive-visionfive-2-v1.2a.dtb Card did not respond to voltage select! : -110 Couldn't find partition mmc 0:1 Can't set block device StarFive #

·
Adam Hartley
Adam Hartley
Author
·Dec 12, 2023

Allard Krings If mmc list shows more than one mmc device you might need to try the second device. I think this is the issue here but I could be wrong!

·
Allard Krings
Allard Krings
Dec 15, 2023

Adam Hartley

hi Adam,

thanks a lot for your help! I was indeed able to install ubuntu on the NVME-drive. However fter rebooting the sbc had a reallocation-error. After some searching on internet I found a tip replacing the firmware that Starfive provides by the one from Ubuntu. This is obligatory if you have the 1.2a revision! Now ubuntu boots fine from yhe NVME-drive, no SSD needed!

·
Allard Krings
Allard Krings
Dec 15, 2023

Allard Krings

that is micro-SD off course!

·