My FeedDiscussionsHeadless CMS
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
Daniel Rothmann

17 likes

·

27.8K reads

8 comments

Richard Sudusky
Richard Sudusky
Feb 12, 2024

I'm 99.9% with you. I'm no fan of Scrum, but I think it's a bit misleading to bash it for the number of man-hours that the meetings (events) account for. The bigger issue for me is that the focus is on learning the rules of Scrum, not on putting in place all the minimum prerequisites that you correctly point out. I will share your article widely - fantastic!

·
·1 reply
Daniel Rothmann
Daniel Rothmann
Author
·Feb 13, 2024

I appreciate your thoughts, Richard. To be honest I was in 2 minds about the meeting math point, but I wanted to try and demonstrate how corporate agile can lead to inefficiency. I agree with you that the main problem is strict adherence to process - if having those team meetings do enough good for the team, it makes sense to keep them.

·
Rami James
Rami James
Feb 13, 2024

I wrote about what's wrong with agile here: ramijames.com/thoughts/the-work-structure-s..

Tldr: too much process is being rammed down dev's throats as a way to create visibility and accountability, instead of managers understanding that devs need autonomy to be creative and innovative.

The point of agile is.. to be agile. You want to be able to change stuff on the fly, make mistakes, shift direction, etc. Too much process makes that impossible.

·
Victoria Lo
Victoria Lo
Feb 14, 2024

This is very insightful Daniel Rothmann! It's often easy to do these practices because "things have always been that way" but looking from a different perspective helps to identify parts that needs improvement and try new processes!

·
Md Faizan Alam
Md Faizan Alam
Feb 12, 2024

Super banner for the Article How did you created it?

·
·2 replies
Daniel Rothmann
Daniel Rothmann
Author
·Feb 13, 2024

Thank you. I've created the visuals using Midjourney with a bit of prompting, trial and error to get something that looked consistent.

·
Md Faizan Alam
Md Faizan Alam
Feb 13, 2024

great!

·
Morris M
Morris M
Feb 13, 2024

Thank you for sharing

·
Johnny
Johnny
Feb 19, 2024

Really good write up... I think the most annoying thing about "corporate agile" as you put it (which I've unfortunately worked with a few times), is that it adds unnecessary layers of bureaucracy which doesn't seem to contribute at all to the final goal. I've even seen it as a way to prevent work from getting done, by saying things like "we can't do that many story points in a sprint". Then that work ultimately expands to take up the whole sprint, even if it shouldn't (as per Parkinson's principle).

Nothing drains my soul more than a discussion on whether a story should be a task or epic in Jira, or getting engineers to go away and spend 2 hours by themselves assigning story points.

·