My FeedDiscussionsHeadless CMS
New
Sign in
Learn more about Hashnode Headless CMSHashnode Headless CMS
Collaborate seamlessly with Hashnode Headless CMS for Enterprise.
Upgrade ✨Learn more
Sandeep Panda

92 likes

·

7.5K reads

17 comments

Thamaraiselvam
Thamaraiselvam
May 7, 2019

Awesome read, That is really informative. Thanks for sharing.

·
·3 replies
Mallikarjun Sharanabasappa Bendigeri
Mallikarjun Sharanabasappa Bendigeri
May 7, 2019

Very nice. Is Hashnode a custom built product or an open source project configured

·
Thamaraiselvam
Thamaraiselvam
May 8, 2019

Hashnode isn't open sourced like Dev.to

·
David Homeren
David Homeren
May 15, 2019

Sandeep Panda Interesting piece..

·
Gijo Varghese
Gijo Varghese
May 8, 2019

Excellent post, looking for more articles like this from Hashnode team

One concern though, 4 servers are enough for a CDN? Are you getting <100ms all around the world?

I've used a similar technique to speed up WordPress too - 1secblog.com/caching-html-pages-at-the-edge..

·
·2 replies
Sandeep Panda
Sandeep Panda
Author
·May 8, 2019

Thanks! We started with 4 servers and are adding more slowly.

Are you getting <100ms all around the world?

We see increased latency (~ 400ms) for a few locations such as Australia. We don't have an edge node there. But the average TTFB is 99ms. You can see a detailed report here.

·
Gijo Varghese
Gijo Varghese
May 8, 2019

Cool!

·
Anil Sivadas
Anil Sivadas
May 17, 2019

Great article

·
devpascoe
devpascoe
Nov 28, 2019

I just got off a 2 hour support call to AWS. I am facing a similar scenario: white-label multi-tenant social network platform, need to handle multiple externally mapped domains and SSL. Their recommendation was as you outlined: generate multiple SSL certs along with multiple CloudFront distros. Naturally leading to an outcome of say 1000 customers equals 1000 ACM certs and 1000 CloudFront distributions pointing to the same S3 bucket (sheesh invalidating cache should be fun). FYI i had to request the limit for both be increased.

I also came across traefik.io which looks to have auto SSL handling. I guess if this were easy everyone would be doing it haha.

·
·3 replies
Sandeep Panda
Sandeep Panda
Author
·Nov 28, 2019

Exactly! I understand your pain.

I recently created this project called AutoSSL which helps businesses like you serve their customer domains over HTTPS. You might find it interesting: autossl.co

Basically, you just sign up, add your customer domains and we automatically manage the TLS.

Let me know what you think!

·
devpascoe
devpascoe
Nov 28, 2019

Sandeep Panda super interesting. I should probably take this reply offline but who knows folks may benefit. I signed up and am keen to test, what in particular do you suggest for a CDN being the Origin server? In my case i use AWS CloudFront for our wildcard subdomains. Do you recommend my Origin be an S3 bucket?

·
devpascoe
devpascoe
Nov 28, 2019

Sandeep Panda update Signed up for AutoSSL and I pointed an external domain to my CloudFront instance and i don't get a complaint about SSL from CloudFront! Amazing! How are you accessing Origin? Is the flow: request > your edge server with SSL configured > proxy request to Origin ? I just thought for sure CloudFront would complain about the request domain not matching what CF was configured to serve under CF's "Alternate Domain Names (CNAMEs)" setting.

·
Dejan Milosevic
Dejan Milosevic
Mar 3, 2020

Where are you buying those boxes? Are they bare-metal? Any recommendation for them? Thanks

·
Rayjens Code
Rayjens Code
Feb 28, 2021

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I have question. How do you handle the creation of subdomain per user and how it works when they point the IP in their domain? is there any configuration in the server?

·
Jerric Lyns John
Jerric Lyns John
May 16, 2021

What exactly are the nodes that you've mentioned here. Is there any library you use for them. Are these nodes in-memory storage only.

·
Numbers
Numbers
Dec 28, 2021

Sandeep Panda Does Hashnode use the same method for the custom domain now? I see that domains are now managed by Vercel.

·
Maaiz Elahi
Maaiz Elahi
Mar 9, 2023

Sandeep Panda How did you prevented DDoS attacks?

·