I just realized that I love programming and just started learning PHP. Any advice on what is the best way to learn and become a backend developer?
BTW I signed up for "principles of software development" course. It starts next week.
Write your answer…
Create accounts on these websites:
They give you programming challenges to solve. Once you have a solution you can submit it to their website and it will be tested against a set of test cases.
There are easy, medium and hard challenges. I think this is an excellent way to improve yourself everyday, step by step.
Hashnode is building a friendly and inclusive dev community. Come jump on the bandwagon!
💬 A beginner friendly place
🧠 Stay in the loop and grow your knowledge
🍕 >500K developers share programming wisdom here
❤️ Support the growing dev community!
Register ( 500k+ developers strong 👊)
- First, obligatory learn those topics very well: HTTP, cookies, sessions, caching, gzip, OSI model, DNS, SMTP, HTTPS, HTTP2
- Understand Web Standards, HTML, CSS from W3C and MDN
- Go though official PHP7 documentation on php.net
- Read about Computer science, data structures, algorithms, Software engineering principles, design patterns, OOP, Functional programming, MVC, Dependency Injection. Many articles available on Hashnode, Quora and Medium. You also may try FreeCodeCamp. Good free online video tutorial series available on Udacity
- Learn SQL, MySQL 5.7
- Learn unix basics, commands, Apache or nginx, hosts file, make local domain (usually ending with .dev or .local)
- Set up your local environment with PHP7, MySQL5.7, Apache/nginx installed, configured (I recommend install all them manually and not using something like WAMP, it's not so hard, even on Windows)
- Make a simple own MVC application on plain PHP
- Install Composer and learn about it and package management.
- Start watching laracasts.com
- Learn basics of Node, npm, install node.js
- Go though whole documentation of Laravel 5.3
- Make your own Laravel app
- Register at GitHub
- Read Laravel's or any other popualr PHP project source code (at least some part of it), make you to understand every single line and operation, what it does and how
- Repeat 10 000 times.
The Dev Community
(Free, friendly and inclusive)
A network for software developers to learn new things and get insight into the world of programming