This is a great question! Picking up new skills is so important for developers because the landscape shifts so quickly. A while back, a lot of people asked me this question so I wrote an article about it: css-tricks.com/learning-to-learn
The tl;dr is:
- try to identify holes in your knowledge- this can include looking through course structure online, or looking at API docs, etc
- then write down and schedule all of those pieces so that you can devote some time to it, and mark things off little by little
- I make sure I'm practicing the new things I'm learning- if I have to learn it for a job, great! That's baked in to the process, but if I'm just trying to level up, I might make a side project so I learn it.
- Making something I enjoy really helps me learn because I'm more incentivized to do it
- I also pay attention to how I'm learning, that I'm doing what works for me
Hope that helps!
Reply to this…